Saturday, June 28, 2014

color blocking with washi tape

Color blocking is very on trend. You see it everywhere....on a purse, a flower pot, a dress. Today I'm sharing a super easy way to color block an otherwise plain alpha. The trick: washi tape.
I love using wood veneer embellishments on my scrapbooks. I am happy to leave a wood veneer alphabet, like the one in Studio Calico's July's kit, Penny Arcade, as is (like here for example) but I also thought..let's color block a title! 
Simply take a piece of wash tape and tape down your letter. True washi tape works best as it is easy to remove. You can do all the letters at once, as long as the word isn't too large. Since my word was only five letters long, I liked lining it all at once so I knew I had the same amount blocked off on each letter. However, you could totally change that up, having the tape not lined up the same on each letter, and the result would be each letter have a different sized paint section. Kinda cool.
Once your tape is down, make sure and press the edge. This is what will make the paint edge crisp.
Paint your section in the color you want. This chalkboard paint would be cool.  Remove the washi tape. I removed while it was still wet and it peeled right off.
A quick and easy way to add some color to a plain embellishment!
There you have it---a clean color blocked title! This same technique also works great on a larger scale. I recently used large paper mache letters for a baby shower, color blocked them with washi tape and paint, and then used them as the table centerpiece. 
So many ways you could change this up and so many items that you can color block. Bust out the wash tape and paint and get to it!

1 comment:

  1. So - unrelated to the post - is that your table with those awesome red chairs??? Love. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read and appreciate every one.